I’m currently open for editing short fiction and novelettes of up to 10,000 words. If you’d like me to take a look at non-fiction or articles or essays, please query first.
My editing experience comes from 10 years of writing and workshopping speculative fiction (some of which was at the Clarion Writers Workshop), 3 years as a Submissions Editor for Uncanny Magazine, and 2 years of journalism desk work. As such, although my critique is all-around, you can expect an eye toward story structure, character interaction, and phrasing nuance and concision.
Please indicate which of the following you’d like me to provide:
- Critique – A general overview of what works and doesn’t work in your story.
- Proofreading – Can’t get the hang of tenses? Forgot a word? Missed a typo? I can fix it for you.
- Line edits – I’ll edit your story line by line so that each line is in harmony with the other.
- Structural edits – If you feel like your story isn’t quite hanging together, I can find out where to patch it up for seamlessness.
- Sensitivity reads – If you’d like to write a character or culture that isn’t yours with respect, I can point out what you did well and what you can do better with your female, Filipino, chronically ill or mentally ill (depression/anxiety/PTSD), and/or brown characters.
- Translation – I am fluent in English and Tagalog, so I can help you translate some dialogue with accuracy.
For Filipino writers based in the Philippines, I have a separate table of fees from those below. Please drop me a line to inquire.
For international writers, it is a must that you have a PayPal account. I charge a base fee of 120 USD and an hourly rate of 30 USD. Drop me a line and I’ll give you a quote. My first five clients get a 20% discount.
There is a non-negotiable downpayment of 50% at the beginning of the project.
- Email me your story as an attachment with “[QUERY]” in the subject line. Please also state your story’s genre and the word count in the body of the email. Note: Stories copy pasted in the body of the email and inquiries regarding this service without “[QUERY]” in the subject line will go unanswered.
- I’ll acknowledge your email and assess your story (initial reading, how long I’ll take to complete the work). It may take up to 3 days for me to assess. After that, I’ll reply with my projected time and then the real work can start.
- You’ll also receive a contract that from me that you must sign and date and send back to me.
- The day after I’m paid the 50% downpayment is the day I’ll start logging my hours.
Interested? Drop me a line at email@example.com with “[QUERY]” in the subject line so that I can identify that this is about the editing service.